essay part three
He was introduced to architecture through the writings of Henry Russell Hitchcock.
The Glasshouse is a nice house. I like the glass because the glass makes it stand out more than a normal house. It’s also more of a modern look that I favor.
Philip Johnson’s work is more of a modern style. He has worked on the Glass House and if you look on the inside you can see it has more of a modern style. His early work includes the John de Menil House in Houston, Texas built in 1950. The outside isn’t that great. It looks like a normal building. I do like the door a lot because it’s glass and I favor glass things. I think it’s so nice; glass makes everything look much nicer in my opinion. The second building he made was the Mrs. John D. Rockefeller Three Guest House in New York built in 1950. I couldn’t find a picture of that one but it seems like it would be nice because its Mrs. John D. Rockefeller’s guest house I think that would be a nice building. He also made the Hodgson House at New Canaan, Connecticut 1951, Nuclear Reactor at Rehovot, Israel 1960-1964. He made many others and I can’t name them all because there is way to many. He made some buildings that he’s not famous for but then others that he is very famous like the AT&T building (now the Sony building) in New York. The AT&T building is a 37 story high-rise in Manhattan. The Sony building was built by Philip Johnson and his less famous partner John Burgee and constructed in 1984. It became immediately controversial for its ornamental top. I went in that building and it was really nice the door was huge and the inside had a lot of arches by the elevator and a section to shop and to eat lunch its not like any other skyscraper I’ve been in. all the other ones are just a building with nothing in it but a front desk but the AT&T building it had a whole different layout which was cool it was different and I liked it a lot.
Philip Johnson was the Regional Vice president of AT&T/SONY corporations.
The best thing about the AT&T (Sony) building is the backwards arch on the top the arch catches eyes of many people and it makes the recognize it and the arch lets people know oh that’s the AT&T building or oh look it’s the Sony building and stuff the arch is like a symbol people know what it is when the see it.
In the words of Paul Goldberger Johnson “was the man who invented networking”

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home